SEE RESULTS OF LYING


What are the results of lying? There are many practical reasons God tells us not to bear false witness, and many of these can be seen in the results that happen when we lie. First of all, lying harms others. Proverbs 25:18 says, “Like a club or a sword or a sharp arrow is the man who gives false testimony against his neighbor.”

Secondly, lying destroys trust. Lying destroys confidence, security, assurance and trust. You cannot operate a family, a business, a church, or a country without a strong standard of honesty. Proverbs 14:5 says, “A truthful witness does not deceive, but a false witness pours out lies.”

Thirdly, lying wrecks relationships. Proverbs 16:28 says, “A perverse man stirs up dissension, and a gossip separates close friends.” Ephesians 4:25 says, “Each of you must put off falsehood and speak truthfully to his neighbor, for we are all members of one body.”

Fourthly, lying ruins your reputation. Proverbs 10:9 says, “The man of integrity walks securely, but he who takes crooked paths will be found out.” How many people have lost their reputations in business, church or politics because they were caught in a lie?


Fifthly, lying breaks your fellowship with God. In Psalm 101:7 God says, “No one who practices deceit will dwell in my house; no one who speaks falsely will stand in my presence.” In order to have fellowship with God, we must confess our sin and leave our lies behind.

Finally, lying brings God’s judgment on the liar. Proverbs 19:9 says, “A false witness will not go unpunished, and he who pours out lies will perish.” The book of Revelation includes liars among those who will perish in the lake of fire. “But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars — their place will be in the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death.” (Revelation 21:8) The righteous will take their place in God’s kingdom, but “outside are the dogs, those who practice magic arts, the sexually immoral, the murderers, the idolaters and everyone who loves and practices falsehood.” (Revelation 22:15)

Once again, we are all guilty of lying. We have all broken God’s standards for truth and honesty. We are all sinners in need of God’s forgiveness through Jesus his Son.

No comments :

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Your Daily Expectations

Did I begin today in prayer?

Have I read my Bible today?

Did I give today my best efforts?

Did I make someone’s life a little better today?

Did I take steps towards the dreams I have and God has for my life today?

How did I add value to the world around me today?

Was my attitude ever in the way of me or others having a productive, happy day?

Can I put today behind me, go to sleep, and give tomorrow another chance?

How can I improve my answers tomorrow night?

Am I ending today in prayer?