WHAT HAS GOD DONE FOR ME: HAVE YOU EVER FELT THAT WAY?


Many of us are frustrated with God. What has He done for me. I am not even sure that He is fair. How can I understand God? How can I be sure what He will do?  Have you ever felt that way? That He is not a just God? You pray, and for long hours. You even fast and He does not seem to hear you. You life still remains a struggle.Yet you know of someone who prays for 15 minutes a day and seems to have all the good things of life. Have you ever wondered why? In point of fact, He is a just God. I John 1:9


In Luke 10:38-42, we see two sisters serving the Lord in their own ways. Jesus reprimands the one who is working hard and commends the one who is merely sitting and gazing.
How is that fair and just? An onlooker would have been confused. No doubt, Martha was unhappy. Mary too might have been surprised and deeply humbled
You might be equally confused. What just happened here? Older Christians will remind you that God is sovereign.
So? Does He have to be so capricious?
Oh well, they say. He is God, you can’t really tell what He will do. Job said as much - The Lord gives, the Lord takes, blessed be His holy name.
At first look, it seems that God Himself says that He is capricious.
Esau and Jacob; Roms 9:13
I will have compassion on whom… Roms 9:15
I bring one down, I build one up;
I kill and I make alive, on and on
I sit in the heavens I do as I please Ps 115:3
But right there is the key - as He pleases
Ask yourself - Is He pleased with your life? We were actually created for His pleasure Rev 4:11, but for most of us God has to be like the Father who said - Just be happy that I love you because right now, I don’t like you. That God loves us is not in doubt - look at the cross. But does He like us? Are we likable? Are we pleasing to Him? Can He say of us like He did of Jesus - This is my beloved son in whom I am well -pleased? … Matt 17:5
By now, you are wondering how to please God; we want Him to say to the world about us - hear him, to your boss, to all the people in your life - hear him. When the world hears you, you will win more than a Nobel Peace prize.
So, How can we please Him? Let us see what we can learn from 2 sisters in our main passage. As we consider, try and identify where you fit:
They were both Christians, if you define Christian as someone who is of the party of Christ.
They both loved God
Consider Martha; she was probably the older one - she owned the house. She was established in her faith so did not see a need for improvement. 
She was an extremely kind and hospitable woman.
Kept a clean house
But she nagged Jesus - nobody likes being nagged
She was snapping at Jesus, the Lord of Lords and the King of kings.
Please note: we can and should question God, eg
Paul - Who are you Lord? Damascus road
David - Why do you sleep Lord? Psalm 44:23-24

Peter - don’t you care that we are dying? Mk 4:38
But when you ask in a quarrelsome manner, a self righteous way, God‘s response will be different. eg I have fasted and you have not taken note gets a rebuke - Is 58:3-9
It got so bad, Martha ended up trying to  command Jesus. It was obvious that with that attitude, Jesus was far from pleased. She received a reprimand in spite of all her pious activities
Mary on the other hand, might have been lazy
But more likely, she knew the right end of the stick; knew on which side her bread was buttered
She discovered what was needful and took hold of that.
What is that thing that is needful? In Mathew 6:33 - He says we have need of those but the fastest way to get them all is to get your priorities straight, strive to get into the kingdom and the good things in the kingdom will come to you without too much effort.
Immigrants know this very well. They come here, realizing that once they are in the US legally, all the good things of this place shall automatically be added to them. Those who remain away from here can only get crumbs if and when those who are here decide to respond to their calls.
Don’t settle for spiritual crumbs. Get your priorities straight. First the kingdom, then the kingdom blessings.
Mary reverently learnt from the master. Like the prodigal son, she was depending on grace and Christ rather than on her own achievements. Obviously her life pleased the Lord and she was commended.
Your attitude and approach must be pleasing to God
Don’t come to Jesus with an attitude of knowledge - come as a little child - to learn
Be open to surprises - God is full of surprises
Don’t prejudge God - He does as He pleases. Just ensure that you please Him
Don’t be so busy that you do not have time for God - remember, you cannot receive anything unless and until it is given to you by God.  
Seek to do His will, not get Him to do yours - the lesser is blessed by the greater; God is greater than us
Works versus grace. Martha was trusting in her works. Mary chose grace - unmerited favor. Just like the prodigal son. Like Paul the worst of sinners, the least of the apostles, Like King David.
Question God if you need to, but don’t query Him

No comments :

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Your Daily Expectations

Did I begin today in prayer?

Have I read my Bible today?

Did I give today my best efforts?

Did I make someone’s life a little better today?

Did I take steps towards the dreams I have and God has for my life today?

How did I add value to the world around me today?

Was my attitude ever in the way of me or others having a productive, happy day?

Can I put today behind me, go to sleep, and give tomorrow another chance?

How can I improve my answers tomorrow night?

Am I ending today in prayer?