Why Are Christians So "Serious"?

Comparing sin to sickness isn't something I made up. Jesus used the analogy about 2,000 years ago. He once said he hung around spiritually hurting and morally messed-up people because it's "not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. … For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners" (see Matthew 9:10-12).



Jesus made it his mission to pass along "the cure" for sin. In fact, his death on the cross is proof of how serious he was about this mission. It's also proof of how well he understood the dreaded consequences of sin. Sin is so bad it could only be cured through the death of God's own Son.

Should we be any less serious and passionate about sharing the cure? Hardly. The reality is this: If we truly believe sin is a deadly sickness, we must care enough to offer others the "medicine" of salvation. And while we don't want to come across as pushy, we should feel a certain urgency about sharing the cure.

Sharing our faith with others, however, is more than just something we should do. It's an incredible privilege! Just think of it: God allows us to bring his saving message to our non-Christian friends. What an honor!

Telling others about Christ is also something we must do. It's an obligation. "Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have," Peter says in the Bible. He adds that we are to do so "with gentleness and respect" (1 Peter 3:15).

That's right: Arrogance has no place in our witness. And we are never to be, well, pushy —if pushy means "obnoxious" and "disrespectful."

And sometimes we don't even need to open our mouths. In another place, Peter says we are to live such good lives among non-Christians that "they may see your good deeds and glorify God … " (1 Peter 2:12). Our attitudes and actions are to reflect God's love and concern—so much so that others will be

No comments :

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Your Daily Expectations

Did I begin today in prayer?

Have I read my Bible today?

Did I give today my best efforts?

Did I make someone’s life a little better today?

Did I take steps towards the dreams I have and God has for my life today?

How did I add value to the world around me today?

Was my attitude ever in the way of me or others having a productive, happy day?

Can I put today behind me, go to sleep, and give tomorrow another chance?

How can I improve my answers tomorrow night?

Am I ending today in prayer?